Friday, July 20, 2012

When the Writer Gets Hot...

...the hot get out the Super Soakers, a favorite activity in my fam for those aged 5-65. There's something extremely cool and definitely therapeutic about firing swirling streams of water at your spouse while they do the same back. A marital win-win in my mind. And, of course, there's the 'family-sized' kiddie pool to enjoy, complete with schools of plastic fish and a genuine Toy Story floating chair that even holds a water-loving grandmother. Having kids around gives grown-ups automatic permission to play. And they'll give you a refresher course if you've forgotten how to have fun. Maybe kids should teach a motivational class for writers who have somehow forgotten the joy of making up a story.

Have you ever found yourself bogged-down in the logistics of writing? Of course, story structure is important, good grammar a must, authentic characters must be fleshed-out and resonate. And submissions must be form and letter perfect, marketable, and sparkling as we shop ourselves and our work to editors and agents, hoping to someday be able to proclaim, "She likes me! She really, really likes me!"

It's true: The logistics can't be avoided. But today, I've made a play-date with my words. I'm going to write until I get my child-like joy back.


No comments:

Post a Comment